Here are a few compelling reasons you should consider eating some good old-fashioned grains like oatmeal or toast:
- Energy – For energy and optimal brain and organ function. And according to a clinical study by the Archives of Internal Medicine**, carb eaters feel happier, calmer and more focused.
- Nutrients – Vitamins and minerals such as B-vitamins, iron magnesium, zinc, selenium and protein. Protein is essential for repairing and maintaining tissue and muscle. (Two slices of Dempster’s®WholeGrains™ 12 Grain contain 10 grams of protein. Bet you didn't know that!)
- Disease Prevention – An important source of fibre, which may help maintain blood sugar and reduce cholesterol levels. People who eat more whole grains also tend to have a lower risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and digestive issues.
“Recognized North American health authorities suggest that 45 to 65 per cent of daily calories should come from carbohydrates,” says RD Cara Rosenbloom, who has teamed up with Dempster's Canada to help Canadians incorporate the right carbs into their diets. “One of the most versatile, quick and tasty options is whole grain bread.”
Rosenbloom offers the following quick options for busy families:
- Health Conscious: Whole grain toast topped with pressed cottage cheese, strawberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- For the Kids: Vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower and sweet peppers with hummus dip
- Before the Gym: Half of a nut butter and banana sandwich on whole grain bread
** Archives of Internal Medicine, Volume 169 (no. 20), November 9, 2009